Monday, September 17, 2007

Losing my electoral virginity...

...was a lot more confusing than I expected. (And the ballot box more claustrophobic.) I've written it up for your viewing pleasure; its 'form' is the bildungsoped, a new hybrid of the bildungsroman and the oped. (At last check, bildungsoped had not a single google hit--could be an original!)

Right... Anyway, the Walrus magazine article is about Ontario's looming--and crucial--referendum on electoral reform and is called "Blown Into Proportion." If the proposal for a proportional system--derived by a citizens' assembly--is passed, Canadian politics will be dramatically transformed.

The story begins,


They say you never forget your first time, but they usually don’t say why. For mine, not long ago, I had to climb a steep hill in the rain. I was a nervous eighteen-year-old university student living in Montreal. I entered the polling station, looked down, and felt nothing.

...

Imagine Ottawa’s metamorphosis: a small but strong Green Party; the Bloc Québécois cut almost in half ... the PMO reined in by Parliament; stable coalition governments. For much of the old guard, this would be a nightmare.


Read on
.




..


In other news, I've finished my internship at The Walrus; I'm currently "writing" and also applying for various grants and programmes of higher education.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems evident that some kind proportional representation is fairer to the voters than the first past the post system we have now. But there are two problems for a succesful referendum: the high 60 per cent bar and misunderstanding among the voters. None of the party leaders are showing leadership on this important issue.